Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple-Cranberry Sauce


Thanksgiving is just around the corner (sort of), and I think it's high time that I contribute to meal instead of just feasting all day. I found a great recipe from Real Simple for Apple-Cranberry sauce. Cranberry sauce is one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving dinner (I put it on top of everything!) and this recipe is a fun variation on the traditional sauce.



Ingredients

  • 1 pound cranberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 cup apple cider
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions

  1. In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, cider, and sugars.
  2. Simmer until the cranberries begin to burst and the sauce thickens, 12 to 15 minutes.

When I was at the grocery store this weekend, fresh cranberries weren't available, so I picked up a bag of frozen. It weighed 10 ounces, which is six ounces less than a pound, so I adjusted the amounts of apple cider and the sugars accordingly. I decided to buy a spiced apple cider to add an extra kick to the recipe. When the sauce starts to heat up, it the cranberries start to pop, so don't be alarmed!

No comments:

Post a Comment